How can you speed up the time it takes to level-up your Koi, expand the pond and ascend?
Here’s a few suggestions…
- Spend your Ability Points on Agility and Speed at roughly 60:40 proportion, and leave Rarity at zero. Agility seems to be the most important attribute to increase your catch rate. Later with some of the faster prey, you’ll need your speed to be good too, but once you get agility to maximum, catching all prey is much easier.
- Swim vertically not side-to-side. Because your screen is longer vertically, you’ll have more time to react to catch prey – particularly for mobile devices. It also allows you to see further to line-up catching Puffer Fish.
- Every time you expand the pond, make a mental note of the prey types you need to catch. Keep this in your head and you’ll be more effective catching the right prey that you need. You can also rely on the “required prey” status at the top of the screen, to help you remember what you should be catching, and how many.
- If you uncover a power-up or gem, grab it right away. Don’t save it for later – who knows when you’ll be back to exactly this part of the pond. Power ups can help a lot in catching prey, so if you get a power-up, use it to the fullest in catching the hardest prey.
- Don’t forget other prey (but don’t go out of your way to catch them). If you’re searching for specific prey types, don’t completely ignore the non-essential prey that are near you. Even though other prey aren’t contributing to your immediate goal to expand the pond, they do give you experience and help you level up your stats, so grab them on-the-way.
- Ignore potential mates, if you’re not interested in breeding. Chasing a mate around will just cost you time if you already have those patterns and colors.
- For catching prey – try to get into a flow of catching one, to the next. Because of the momentum of the Koi, you can tap on a new target at the same time or just before you bump into the previous prey. This will increase your catch rate. In addition, go after prey that are directly in front of you, so you can keep your speed to the maximum. Everytime you turn sharply, your speed will drop so, focus on those prey that are in the direction you’re going.
- Different prey yield different experience points. Some, like the double-ended fish give you a lot of extra points, so it can be worth levelling a lot with the double-ended fish to speed up breeding opportunities. Every half-level, you’ll encounter a random mate, so if you want to breed faster, level-up faster.
Got a tip for levelling up? Post it in the comments!